WHAT IS COMPOUNDING?
Compounding is the technique of combining, mixing, or altering one or more ingredients to create a medication that is tailored to the needs of an individual patient.
Compounding is utilized best when:
- A patient has an allergy or needs a medication to be made without certain dyes or preservatives
- An elderly patient or a child can’t swallow a pill or needs a medicine in a liquid form that is not otherwise available
- A drug has gone off the market or is on back order
- A medication is not commercially available
- A patient needs doses customized for his/her individual needs in a dosage form that fits his/her lifestyle